Monday 26 March 2012


Finance Minister and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has described her nomination by African leaders for the top job of the World Bank as ”an unforgettable honour.”

She also insisted that the opposition of the American government to her nomination would not dampen her spirit.

Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala, who was spoke at the National Convention of the Peoples Democratic Party at the Eagle Square, Abuja, weekend, thanked African leaders for their backing.

She said: “Sincerely, I feel honoured by the decision of African leaders to back me for the job and I believe that the final decision on who occupies the office would be beneficial to the global community.

“It is elating that across the continent, the leaders spoke with one voice, and their gesture is directed at me; I am eternally grateful to them all for their support.”

Asked if she felt her chances of getting the job were being threatened by the U.S- nominee for the job, the minister said the U.S. government’s stance merely confirmed her recognition as the right candidate for the office.

She said: “I am aware of the opposition by the American government, and I can tell you that rather than dampen my spirit, it further strengthens my belief in the fact that my candidature caught the attention of very influential nations, especially the United States of America.

“The most important thing to me here is the recognition b
y political and renowned academic leaders across the continent for the job, which would further give the continent a better position in global economic matters.“Even if eventually I don’t get the job, I still will feel honoured for being the target of a continental acceptance on a global matter that affects global economic growth.”

No comments: